Monday, May 8, 2023

Vindolanda 2023 - Day Six

In any two week excavating block you can expect to lose one day to rain.  This was it.  The decision is made with variable concern for excavators slipping and sliding and for the quality of archaeology that is actually possible when everything turns to mud before your eyes.  Sigh.  Maybe tomorrow, but it is likely we'll be back on higher and dryer spots such as roads and ramparts for a bit.

Oh well, time to tidy up a few loose ends.

Last year I was there when my digging pal Dylan made a remarkable find.  I promised him a picture of its new home in the site museum.  "Da iawn Dylan!"


Yesterday was a day off and we had an 8 mile walkabout with the Usual Suspects.  I try to capture what I call the "Seventies Album Cover" photo every year.  Here we are with a Neolithic standing stone.


And, with hopes tempered by realism, here's a shot this morning of about where I hope to be excavating tomorrow....



No comments: