Monday, March 8, 2021

Dinner in the Woods

If you are ever lost in an unfamiliar environment it is reasonable to figure out what the local fauna are eating.  With some exceptions it will often sustain human life as well.  On a recent early spring tromp through the woods I was not exactly lost, but the going was slower than I expected and I was getting tired and hungry.  So I took a break to look at this:


Chewed up wood is a curiosity.  In this case it was due to the efforts of pileated woodpeckers hammering away at the dead tree looking for cold, sluggish grubs.  


Well OK.  It it is that or starvation I'll eat grubs.  But notice what the woodpeckers would not deign to touch:


That's a big ol' plate fungus and the birds were having none of it.  Sort of confirms my general rules about not eating mushrooms.  Thanks, no, I'll have seconds on the grubs.

No comments: