Thursday, May 19, 2022

Vindolanda 2022 Day Nineteen

We started the day soldiering on in our anaerobic trench.  Various posts and other wood emerged, but overnight rain had "recharged" the soil and continuous streams of water coming in forced us to higher ground after lunch.  Before that happened a few mildly interesting bits came up.

Since evidence of a 2nd century AD murder was discovered inside the fort some years ago I always get a bit nervous when I find ambiguous bits of bone.  Could this be human?


Nah, evidently goat, so we are OK.

The other interesting thing that emerged from the tenacious mud was this:


Concrete.  So what?  Well it is 1800 year old Roman concrete.  This was an uncommon building material and mostly reserved for high status buildings with private bath facilities.  It "might" be a clue to the location of the commander's house from an earlier version of the fort.  I dug a bunch of this stuff back in 2017.

The afternoon was spent on higher ground, but so far neither finds nor features are worthy of comment.

I realize this is a thin report, and acknowledge that I'm holding back.  Because today on site one of my friends found something really, really good.  It is under social media quarantine for the time being but I'll share it as soon as I can.  Really outstanding....


No comments: