Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Vindolanda 2022 Day Thirteen - Creepy Crawlies

On occasion you have a day where nothing interesting happens archaeologically.  I spent the day taking out chunks of clay from a rampart.  There should not be anything interesting in that clay.  And there wasn't.  My finds for the day were one oyster shell.

So, in lieu of cool digging stuff how 'bout some pictures of small UK critters?

I've seen these guys before.  I call them Mordor Slugs.  Their official name is Black Slug and they are an invasive species.  They've even made it to the US.  Ugh.

And another mollusk.  You know, I could get back on that snails and slugs of Great Britain website and ID this one for you but heck, its just a cool little snail.


When out geocaching I was hunting intently around some fenceposts and came across this fella...


It is rather disappointingly just called a Common Lizard.  First I've seen on my many trips to the UK.  Sadly I missed a chance to see a very interesting newt that was living in a puddle near today's dig site.  Well you can't win 'em all.

Perhaps the archaeology will be better tomorrow.



1 comment:

JayNola said...

Did you miss the newt because of some kind of scheduling error or did he just get better? I really enjoy these, I just caught up from being overly employed the last couple weeks. Not enough leisure time really sit and digest your travelogue. I know not a lot of people comment on these and that's not why you do it anyway but they really are great.