Friday, September 7, 2018

My First Day of School - Snowflakes and Grey Hair

I just keep on doing odd things.  Like going back to University at age 61.  Well in any case I promised my wife I would take a first day of school picture as she is out of town and unable to do so.

But to find the ideal setting....

I am interested in how the college experience has changed since the last time I was a Freshman.  Which, if you are counting, was 44 years ago.  You hear accounts of how higher education has become a sheltering womb, gently enfolding the delicate young and shielding them from harsh realities.  There are said to be coloring books and bean bag chairs and puppets and service animals involved.

But that's all nonsense, isn't it?

Oh.



Welcome to "The Rest Nest", a cozy little support nook on one of the upper floors of the library building.  Here's my First Day of School pic, a "selfie" in which I try to express appropriate sentiments!



On the first day of school this place was not open for business.  Probably it has extended hours in advance of finals.

Of course I had arrived significantly early for class so I had plenty of time to wander and wonder.  More musings from The Halls of Academe in the days ahead.  Down in the basement of one building was this artifact from an earlier and more robust era:



It was next door to the Veteran's Service Center.  I did not have the honor of serving so I did not feel as if I should wander into what appeared from the doorway to be a very comfortable lounge.  Leather chairs, no beanbags. Several were occupied by confident looking, slightly older students.  They were not using crayons.

No comments: