Friday, September 21, 2018

A Literary Threat

I've met a lot of interesting folks in my archaeology based travels.  And I've made good friends.

Take my British pal Pete for instance.  We share an interest in all things Roman, and in sticky toffee pudding, a decent pint of ale, a good story....

Oh, once in a while I have caught him - for his own amusement - trying to lead me astray with local idiom and custom.  He is a bit of a rascal that way, and as he is currently traveling in the US I must take this opportunity to remind him that, yes, it is a common local custom to order Rocky Mountain Oysters with your breakfast eggs and toast.

Pete loves to travel.  He is always on the lookout for ancient runes or furry critters to photograph.  His constant travel companion is his Long Suffering Wife.  I think he gets her to come along with the promise that she can browse as many bookstores as she likes.  She likes a lot of them.

So, Pete, should you ever consider crossing me up with Northumbrian slang again, here's a bit of a deterrent.

The University library has an ongoing old book sale.  I think it runs forever.  There are new offerings every day.  Have a look at a few quick snaps of Tuesday's lot.

Trifle with me again and I'll start sending the Long Suffering Mrs. Pete daily updates!

By the way, I limit myself to one selection a day.  Oh, they are dirt cheap but we are trying to have stuff entering and exiting the house be in equilibrium.  Browse the photos and see if you can figure out today's choice.  Answer at the bottom.





Well, despite competition from "Calvin and the Libertines of Geneva", and a strong urge to purchase the two volume set of "The Pagan Tribes of Borneo", I settled on "Arctic Harpooner".  Winter's coming after all.

No comments: