Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Random Glimpses of University Life - Part One

I have my school routine pretty well tuned by now.  I have my regular parking place a mile from campus, so I get my exercise walks.  I have my other commitments scheduled into convenient time slots.  So I often have time to stroll around.

This was part of a big row of tables being set up for a campus Activities Fair on a bright sunny day.  I had the highest of hopes that this would turn out to be a band of non specific nutters but alas, when I went back at noon I found out that it was only an improv troupe.  I did have a brief chat with them, presenting as my bona fides that I have worked as a robot carny and know how to properly excavate live hand grenades.  They seemed puzzled.
You hear sometimes about campus newspapers being stolen or defaced on the basis of their political message.  So it intrigued me to see these two publications in peaceful side by side coexistence.  On the right, literally, a conservative paper.  Not very well done, it is a national publication with a bit of local garnish.  On the left an apolitical but slightly twee Artsy journal.  I of course picked up a copy of each to peruse.  I found that in the Artsy mag there was an article about how their Artsy, re purposed TV / newsstand box had been tossed into a dumpster. But that seems to have been not political censorship but an understandable, and in my eyes justifiable, bit of art criticism.



The great thing about Universities is that they are the mother lode of obscure information.  Honestly, people have written books that may never have actually been read by anybody outside the author's immediate family.  The library has an ongoing old book sale where you can pick up obsolete items cheap.  I did not feel a need to learn more about the Bulgarian Agitation of 1876, but did get an odd volume that seems to be a travel guide and political commentary on Portugal.  In case I ever end up there.

No comments: