Friday, November 12, 2021

Prep for Deer Camp - High and Outside

Here is an unsafe tree stand.  Crumbly old wood nailed onto a tree.  It's been moldering away for who knows how long.  I bet the owls appreciate it.

Ah, now this one is much better.  It has extra tie down straps holding the ladder and stand elements.  And be assured, the occupant of this one will be wearing a safety harness.  I've not been up there but my son said "Hey, I can get cell reception up here!"  Just that one extra safety measure.


He's not been up in it yet but my other hunting son speculates he'll be able to see his house from there.  He lives in LA.  Nonsense of course, this stand faces east.

2 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Given the lack of any other branches or foliage at that level to blend into, is that stand high enough?

Tacitus said...

Chris

The stand is set up to cover the intersection of two deer trails. The cover should suffice as the critters don't appear any too bright. (Although they get smarter fast a few days into the season!). Remember this is gun season, not bow. And this is about as high as I can tolerate knowing my kids have climbed up into this sort of thing in the pre dawn dark.

T