Friday, September 15, 2023

Hope Springs a Leek

Back in May I stayed at The Bowes while excavating at Vindolanda.  Cool pints, warm curry, a good combination.  Like all pubs of a worthy nature it had its quirks.  Specifically they have been hosting a Leek growing contest for "Donkeys".  (Note, I'm feeling British today, Donkeys is short for Donkey Years or alliteratively Donkey Ears.  It means a long time.)

I decided to take up the challenge despite there being no realistic way for me to A) grow a monster Leek and B) fly over to England to triumphantly claim my prize.  But such details are only bothersome to small minds.

HERE is my post on the matter from back in June.

Recently The Bowes had their 2023 Leek Contest.  My goodness....


If I were judging I would check these bits of flora very carefully.  Look more like the lopped off tops of palm trees to me.   HERE is the local newspaper's account.

And as to my efforts?  Well I've planted (somewhat) carefully.  I've weeded (at least a few times).  I've given them water (when the sky fails to do so).  Can I still pull off a victory via an absentee entry?

Maybe next year.





 

1 comment:

ChrisJ said...

A valiant effort nonetheless! I just made potato-leek soup for the wife the other day. Very much our favorite potato soup.