Monday, June 5, 2023

A Leeky Future

One of the odd things about my UK home away from home - The Bowes Hotel - is that it sponsors an annual Giant Leek contest.  We're talking some Big Veg here:


I've known about this for a while, but only recently bothered to look up information on it.  Here, have a quick read: 
BOWES CONTEST

I was very excited to see that among the trophies awarded was The Wooden Leek for most improved leeks.  Why I just happen to have a picture of it:


I want it.  Or more specifically, as it seems to be a stay in one place award, I want my name on it.

I'm not much of a gardener.  My attempt to grow Giant Pumpkins resulted in one or two slightly larger than average ones.  When I planted a pound of barley to try and have a total home grown home brew I got.....a little more than a pound of crop.  Peppers, carrots, onions, my list of horticultural flops is extensive.  But I'm gonna grow me some giant leeks.


Here's a big cluster of leek sprouts.  Today I teased them apart and planted about 25 individual units in our community garden plot.  I have expectations....

Actually I expect the little blighters will all perish, then next year I can try again and if I get one anemic little pale green leek to survive until fall of 2024 then the Wooden Leek will be mine.  MINE I SAY!

Playing the long game.

No comments: