Monday, September 25, 2023

Giant Punks

Well there's something you don't see every day.  It's autumn and the Giant Pumpkin growers are having their annual festival in a nearby town.


Those are some massive 'punks.


A conventional sized punk for reference.


Various of the Giant Punksters seem to have offices.  This is the Halloween Queen.  I also saw special chairs for the Pumpkin Master and Squash Master.  

Almost like gang colors.  Orange of course.  That's the weigh in station.  The forklift deposits them with a special sling.  The one just put on the scale was only 582 pounds.


Even getting the mighty vegetables onto the competition grounds is quite the operation.


Giant pumpkins have fascinated me for years.  The one time I attempted to grow them I got a measly 100 pounder.  I should not have been surprised.  I understand that each Giant takes 10 hours a week of your time and ridiculous amounts of garden space and water.  My little community garden plot was not going to suffice.

You'd think I'd have learned, but as my recent experience with Giant Leeks has shown, indeed I have not.  I got one batch of leek onion soup for my efforts.  I wonder how many pumpkin pies you can get from today's winning entry, which I understand weighed just over a ton!?

No comments: