Monday, July 12, 2021

A Useful new toy

We are looking ahead to robotics next fall, and in fact to doing another summer program for middle school "prospects" in July.  With the move into the school we have gained much, but also lost a few things.  In particular our access to the metals shop will be limited.  So I've been planning ways to do a significant build with just a few portable tools.

One thing that is crucial is cutting precisely.  Mostly aluminum, with weight limits this is the main building material.  And after some consideration I've decided that a miter saw will suffice.  These are more commonly used for woodworking but with a non ferrous metal cutting blade they are very appropriate for our needs.  I imagine we'll have access to one at the school, but just in case (and to acquire competence myself) I got one for my shop/team use.  And here it is:


Metabo sounds like a generic mutt brand but is actually the new name for Hitachi, a reasonably good manufacturer.  This model can cut miter and bevel, and has decent metal clamping ability.  You do have to mount it securely, here it is bolted down to an old cabinet door and affixed to a portable work bench.

I gear my work to what a total newbie middle/high school student might be able to manage safely.  And the Metabo/Hitachi C10FCH2 satisfied.

It is important to carefully measure and scribe your part before you cut.  At that point you just line it up with this handy laser!

I was able to reliably cut within the degree of precision needed, and will do a bit better still using actual layout paint versus magic marker.  The saw can cut angles from -50 to +50 degrees, although I expect we'll mostly be using 0 and 45.  The laser marker looks a bit off here, but I think it might be refracting off the part a bit.  My measurements of parts cut look true but if we end up using this for the team I'll study up on fine adjustments.


This was an inexpensive buy at Menards.  Easy to set up.  Nice safety features.  It is scary enough that students will treat it with respect; and to be sure, nobody gets to use it without a formal training and check off process.  We'll also have each part inspected both after marking and again after cutting.

Gripes?  Just a few.  The instructions that came with it were lousy, sending me to the internet for a video that answered all.  And my gracious it creates a lot of little aluminum chips.  The catcher bag is useless and it requires diligent sweeping up.  Even with that I'm finding little silver bits tracked around the house.  It is not a tool you can set up just anywhere.

But this, or something similar, should be a workhorse in the robotics season(s) ahead.


No comments: