Friday, July 16, 2021

Tree Shaped Tombstones - Mondovi Wisconsin

Now how did I miss these?  Mondovi has a cemetery on the edge of town and there were a couple of nice Tree Shaped Tombstones there.  But when I was trying to find Mirror Lake for Day Seven of Strange Fishing I spotted another cemetery.  This seems to be the older one.  As the other was called Sacred Heart and this one is Oak Park, I assume the usual religious divide.

And it has some interesting examples.

A nice one.

I will never stop admiring how this "tombstone moss" interacts with the stone to make things more beautiful.

Some odd symbolism going on here.  These "split trunk" models are always a married couple.  But this variant, where one is reaching out to the other, seems to be trying to say something.  An estrangement that was regretted after death?  


Construction details also interest me.  Here is an original base.  Some kind of rough reddish sandstone.  I suspect the concrete bases that are more commonly seen might also be originals...although some are clearly replacements.  These monuments have a relatively high center of gravity and do seem prone to leaning.

Never seen the like of this one.  There's always something new out there.



No comments: