Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Signs of the (Discontented) Times

As the world slowly started to step out of pandemic lock down I decided to take a brief road trip to see "what was out there".  I routed through some small towns that were just enough off my usual routes that I was seeing them for the first time.  It was refreshing to visit a Drive In and order up a Chili Cheese Dog with a Root Beer Float, and accompanied by a batch of fries that would give my Belgian friends pause....

As one set of troubles is seeming to wind down of course a whole new batch was starting.  I'm not going to go into politics much in this space but I'd be remiss if I did not mention that two of my favorite commercial establishments on earth, and places that I doubt had anything to do with social injustice, were struck hard.

Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Book store was burned to the ground.  Axman Surplus had extensive looting and is currently closed.   These developments make me profoundly sad. Axman will be back.  But Uncle Hugo's may be gone forever.  Such a rare place.  When you kill the last unicorn there will never be another....

But on to the discoveries of a sunlit day in rural Wisconsin.

This is actually a rather well done sign.  Eye catching, simple idea conveyed.  For some reason I think it might be locally created.  



I was not sure what to make of this next one.  We live in Post Ironic Times so might this be someone dialing down their harsher negative opinions?  Or might it be a Republican with a sense of humor?  I did a bit of sleuthing and discovered that this was the first possibility.  It is an official street name and was the work of a WWII Vet and Democrat.  I guess that makes sense.  We are no longer allowed to have humor in our political life after all.  The story evidently goes back a ways...

According to the Eau Claire Star-Telegram, Darn Republican Street dates back to 1955, when the already-named street was on private property and deeded to the city of Chetek only on the condition the name be retained. And retained it has been; we’re surprised political candidates don’t show up along quirky street names like this more often!



Humor still exists however, if you look in obscure enough spots.  Almena Wisconsin qualifies.  Here's what I believe to be the main drinking establishment of this tiny hamlet:



The sign says TESTICLE FESTIVAL and in small print mentions Food Provided by Almena Meat Company.  The 16th celebration of....er....something or other, will be in September 2020.  What I can puzzle out suggests bands in the street, alcohol consumption and a menu that should be parsed carefully and with sober eyes before ordering.



No comments: