Friday, June 5, 2020

The Long Portage - At the Beginning

A while back I showed the historical marker that was towards the southern end of the portage connecting the Great Lakes with the Mississippi.  I had found reference to there being another marker but in my local journeys I had not sighted it.  Well, it's all a matter of looking with a different perspective.

I started by assuming that since it was not placed all that long ago, that the roads and such would not have changed.  Also that it would have been placed, not in a swamp somewhere, but in a spot people would actually visit.  So I just headed to where I figured the Lake Owen end of the portage would be and.....here it is:



The same marker from the "Cable Tuesday Club" .  1936.


Drawing one assumes on an earlier Native name this is called Turtle Portage.  As it happens I found this at the time of year when said critters were marching about looking for places to lay eggs.  This one was in my son's yard.


For a week or so each spring we find lots of turtles up on land.  My grandson is very fond of them.  Then they lumber off into the swamps and ponds, slowly plying their live of sunning and munching.   The portage through "Turtle Lake (swamp)" must have had a few interesting moments.

No comments: