Monday, July 24, 2023

Public Health - Swag I can make use of....

OK, last time I poked a bit of fun at the freebies at our local Public Health office.  But fair is fair, they did have some swag I actually was happy to scoop up.  For some reason they had a big box full of really nice water proof pouches.  THREE LAYERS of ziplock, a roll up velcro top, sturdy plastic and even a draw string.

Just the stuff for geocaches.


Above is a kitchen table view.  The beige paper is special water resistant stuff useful for geocache logs.  But honestly I don't see moisture getting in there.  Ah, but there is that message on the front.  GYT - Get yourself talking, get yourself tested.  Not clear exactly what they are suggesting you test for but if you recall the bowl of condoms nearby I can just imagine.  Not a helpful message for geocaching.  Solution?  Spray paint!


A couple of coats of flat black seem to cover well and do not immediately flake off.  For one experiment I put down a base coat of spray adhesive.  The drawstring is a mix of black and green, but that should work well in most spring/summer environment covers.

I see these being useful in a couple of ways.  I've been looking for a cache type that can be hung inside of hollow trees.  This oughta do it.  Or, just have a superior water tight inner envelope for various other containers.  I've made a number of the Strange Fish series out of this 1 by 2 aluminum structure extrusion.


Always fun to have new material to work with.  I'm considering another series.  Strange Fish is a fun one but its getting hard to find new species/locations.  Perhaps an amphibian based series called Frog Hop?????

No comments: