Wednesday, July 19, 2023

On the Picket Line

Monday's post on Star Trek Strange New Worlds was written before the screen writers - and the actors to boot - went on strike.  Now, I have mixed feelings on unions in general and work actions in particular.  In the case of Kurtzman and his merry band of hacks I'd honestly say they could stay on strike for a couple of years and society would be none the worse for it.  Various public employee unions, while generally not allowed to strike, could walk off and arguably make society a better place.

But private sector unions have a long history in America.  They are important.  And, within the parameters of what they do, I support them.  Their job is to get the best deal possible for their members....while not killing off the company and tossing everyone out on the street.  

For a couple of weeks now I've noticed changes at the local brewery.  Chain link fences went up, forcing me to alter the route of my morning walk.  The union was about to go on strike.

The other day I stopped by and chatted with the Teamsters.  It was a bright sunny morning and everyone was in a good mood.  Cars were driving by and a fairly high percentage expressed their support by honking the horn.



Well, lets hope labor and management sit down and work things out.  I don't buy Leinenkugels all that often but do have a soft spot in my heart for the stuff.  We served a keg of it at our wedding lo, those many years ago.

No comments: