Monday, November 14, 2022

Deer Hunting 2022

The firearms season for deer opens at dawn on Saturday.  In a sense we are already "on the board" as my oldest son got a nice deer bowhunting last week.  

We've been slowly picking up assorted gear at thrift sales and such so we can now put out a few extra tree stands in case our primary spots don't pan out.  

There are a lot of things to do to get ready.  Dog safety gear, especially important for brown ones with big ears...


The master map has to be updated with new stand locations....


The map shows both our locations and the locations, where known, of other hunters.  We are the little yellow guys, game pieces from Lord of the Rings Risk.

Here is another hunter.....The Black Orc.  Probably a totally nice guy.


As it happens we will be having a 4th Birthday/Deer Camp/Tea Party.  I'm not sure there is any template for doing something like this so I just decided to make my own Tea Party Tiara out of blaze orange ribbon.


Well that makes it seem as if we are not taking it seriously this year.  But we are.  I've been out a half dozen times for target practice.  I've noted that my accuracy, while generally pretty good, gets less good as I send more lead down range.  I think 65 year old arms just don't hold as steady when they get tired.  So I went out yesterday with my youngest son who is a phenomenal marksman.  I set up at 75 yards, told him which of the several targets I was aiming at....and hit dead on with three in a row.

At that point I quit.  I've never fired more than three rounds in a season yet.

No comments: