Monday, September 19, 2022

Strange Fishing - A Three Generation Tournament

Not really a competition just a chance for grandpa, dad and kid to toss a line into distant waters where species seldom found in Wisconsin might be lurking.  How many different kinds of fish can we catch?

We'll skip the bluegills.

Here's a Long Eared Sunfish.  New species for my grandson.













And another runty little guy, a Green Sunfish.  New species for grandson although he had caught a hybrid before.


Rounding out the sunfish family I caught a Black Crappie.  I was disappointed as these are super common.  The lake also holds White Crappies which would have been a new one for me.  On the other hand the fish was probably very happy to get out of the little lagoon backwater I caught him in.  Something large and sinister was swirling around in there....


My son even caught a desirable fish.....a musky of all things.


Another new species for the youngest generation....the odd looking Fresh Water Drum.


These were all caught in a reservoir.  For a bit of different fishing we went down below the dam that impounds it.  Sort of Idler's Central for assorted fishermen and women.

One thing we caught there was a common Wisconsin river fish, the Shorthead Redhorse.


Most disgusting and exciting fish of the event was caught here.....


This is a Shortnose Gar.  Gar are primitive fish, survivors from a savage age.  They are mostly bone, teeth and attitude.  I don't have great pictures of this guy because we forgot to bring a landing net and once this guy was hauled out of the water he started thrashing and snapping.  This is the best I could manage before he spit the hook and made it back into the water...


I have it on local authority that where we were fishing, in southern Illinois, there is an expression: "Mean as a Gar".  It seems apt.  But since grandson and I shared this catch we each get to add the species to our lists.

In the end, 8 species caught in about 6 hours of fishing.  4 new ones for grandson, 1 for me.  He's pulling away fast.


No comments: