Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Eyes in the Woods

When we were off on our trip to Illinois I was a bit annoyed by that state's frequent use of highway cameras to enforce speed limits and tolls.  It just seems sneaky although at least for me it is an effective way to modify behaviour.  But my objections to this practice are hypocritical, because as deer hunting season is getting closer I have "trail cameras" out to keep an eye on what's going on in the woods.

Bear in mind that these are cheap models and as such they miss a lot.  Sometimes after I set one up I'll walk in front of it and wave.  And not have those shots turn up later.  But still, you see things....

Deer obviously.  In September you see lots of bucks out there bein' guys.  Come hunting season they get scarce.  When spring comes around and the results of their fall guy behaviour are born they are nowhere to be seen.


Same spot, night view mode.  Looks like a baby bear.  This time of year they are usually bigger, so I guess it could be something else.  A fisher or perhaps a wolverine although they are seldom seen in Wisconsin.


No, not a wolf.  Some neighbors of ours have a giant dog and walk it on many of the trails in this area.

At another camera location a whole herd of deer saunters past.


And after dark there is something interesting going on in those trees...



Flying Squirrel!

No comments: