Monday, January 4, 2021

Sunday Stroll

I've been quite good about daily walks of two miles or so.  Weather is irrelevant but yesterday was actually quite nice.  Overnight there had been just the right combination of temperature, humidity and calmness to produce some remarkable frost everywhere.


When I saw this on the sidewalk a curious thought struck me.  It looks pretty much like when I trim my now white beard.


You don't suppose that 2020,  in the traditional representation, is still sneaking around somewhere?  It would be just typical for him to shave the beard and come back to bring us more mischief! 


Walking on I ended up down by the river.  Chippewa Falls was founded on fur trade and lumbering, so this is rather appropriate:


It appears we have a beaver living in the city park or its environs.  In fact I saw a brown, sleek critter swimming down there a couple of weeks ago and now its ID is certain.  These guys can be significant pests, damming up trout streams, gnawing down nice trees.  I'd not be surprised if he ends up being dealt with by Animal Control.

On the other hand, he seems a particularly ambitious - dare we say Eager - beaver.  He keeps nibbling on the downhill side of this snack a while longer and the problem may resolve on its own.



No comments: