Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Crossing Oceans in a Plague.

January.  The point in time where I usually am well into arranging my spring archaeology trip.  Once upon a time there were actually better deals to be had on airfare and lodging if you made your moves right after the holidays.  Now, not so much.  But of course there are other reasons to be carefully planning, and for waiting a bit.

I'm scheduled to excavate at Vindolanda in late April and on into May.  When last year's digs were cancelled due to Covid they just slid everyone's reservations ahead a year.  The question of course is whether I can manage it in 2021.  Travel from the US to the UK is down about 75% compared to one year ago....having dropped to near 100% shutdown during the early days of Covid.

Here's the logistics.   I have a sizable credit with the airlines as last year's tickets had already been purchased before things got Unpleasant.  It appears they still fly to the UK.  In fact with every other seat - or more - empty it would likely be a nice relaxing flight.  I figure I can score a bona fide N95 mask from somewhere.  I'll be wearing it during the flight and probably for a while prior to same.

Once on the ground things get difficult.  The UK has had at least as bad a time with Covid as the US, and I'd argue a bit worse.  So much international travel, such a fragile economy, and with the reality of having Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland all on slightly different wavelengths things get tough politically.  At the present time international travelers arriving on their shores have to do the following:

- Quarantine somewhere.  And they appear to take this seriously.  Fines, jail terms.  Probably there is some old law on the books that would allow them to behead you.

- Five days from your departure from foreign climes you have to have a Covid test.  The NHS will be happy to do this quickly and efficiently.  Ha, ha!  Just kidding.  You have to book a private test.  It seems to cost about 200 pounds.  It's unclear what the turnaround time is.  If you dash into their testing center, which seems to be grudgingly allowed, it might approach the 24 hour window that can be managed in the US.  

- Negative test means you are released from quarantine.  On return to the US you should self isolate again, probably for seven to ten days.

I consider myself a redoubtable traveler.  Very few things rate as total deal breakers for a trip I'm determined to take.  But this is right on the edge.  I think I could manage five days in some dismal lodging in Newcastle.  There appear to be spectacular hotel deals available for some reason or another.  I have local pals who have expressed willingness to drop off essential supplies.  Mostly one assumes packages of crisps and cans of ale.  This is the modern day equivalent of a Plague Stone economy!  I can bring along a couple of books I've been meaning to read or perhaps ask for recommendations to be included with the provisions.  Sure this will cost a bit but honestly we've been economizing so much of late that it's no big deal.  If I stay cheap enough it would, test included, probably be less than the Stimulus Checks that have come and will maybe again come to my mailbox.  And after all, that half capacity flight will be of near First Class comfort.

The bigger cost is non monetary.  Realistically this is a week or more of pre-travel caution.  A week of UK lockup.  Two weeks of digging.  Another week of post return self quarantine.  That's a long time to not see the grand kids and assuming robotics gets going again a lot of time away from that.  It's not highly likely that either the UK will change their draconian stance or that I'll get vaccinated by then, so this weighs heavily on me.

Well perhaps it will all work out.  I'm going to hold off as long as I can hoping to find better solutions.  For instance, if I route through Bermuda or the Cayman Islands there's no quarantine!   

So I'm thinking about five long, boring days in Newcastle.  It is a nice enough town, lots of history.  The first time I visited I went for a bit of a walkabout before heading over to Vindolanda.  I had my first ever helping of Black Pudding in a little shop next to a historical marker indicating that a Plague Burial Pit was nearby.  I figure I'll find a hotel near this site for a bit of ironic fun.  And if I clear quarantine late in the day I can go out for another walk.....I'm thinking this guided tour would be appropriate!


Addendum.  Since writing the above a new wrinkle has been added.  The US will require a negative Covid test three days before a UK to US flight.  Sigh.  Very close to the last straw here....

1 comment:

Borepatch said...

Yeah, we're on the edge of canceling an Italian/Greek cruise next fall. Too much nonsense, for too much time before, during, and after the trip.