Monday, January 11, 2021

Catch Meets Cache - The Strange Fish Geocache Series

In 2020 I took up geocaching.  But, not surprising to those who know me, I did not do this in the normal way.   Most people want to find them.  I like to hide them.  And make them different, something other than the standard pill bottles wrapped in camo tape.  No, they should be sneaky, informative, whimsical.  And whenever possible, all three.

Last year I did a mushroom themed series that was rather fun.  Five caches along a trail each relating to some aspect of, well, mushrooms.

For the year ahead I'm working on a Strange Fish series.  Of course this plays off my Strange Fishing challenge which is ongoing.  I still aim to catch 20 different species in seven dedicated days of fishing.  I have three more days and need nine, so it will be difficult.

But why not mix two worlds?  Put the cache near the catch?  So I've been tinkering with custom geocache containers that will go near the location of odd fish catches.  Yes this means I need more things to do.  But have a look, it is better than an old guy making birdhouses.

I realize of course that a few people in the geocache world do drop in here for a look see.  Won't matter, those folks are very crafty and will generally find what they are looking for in any case.

And speaking of cases....

Here's our starting material, an earbud case.  One buck at the surplus store.


When you open it up here's what is inside.  The larger set of bumps we'll snip off.  The smaller set we'll need later.


Next step is to cut out a fish shape from thin Lexan.  It is glued to the back of the case, that being the flat side, with some marine epoxy.  Also from the surplus store.


Next, gray spray paint and a stuck on "Googly Eye".  


Not bad if I may say so myself.  I test these things by putting them under a running faucet, figuring that this is way more water exposure than they are likely to face in a well chosen hide.  There is tiny amount of water that makes it through where the hinge is on the top, so I'll put a small bit of grey duct tape there.  

Here's the inside view of the finished product.  Note the very handy pencil holder!  Geocache finders sign the log to prove their find.  The paper for the log is a special water resistant type, and in any case is inside a plastic sleeve.  The pencil holds everything in place.  Each cache will relate to a specific species, and I'm starting out with one of my favorites, the mighty Creek Chub.


The back surface of the "fish" is flat, allowing for placement of say, stick on magnets.  Or, a wire "hook" on the mouth.  I've even tinkered with one of those little ID badge spools so you could tuck the fish is some recessed nook, grab it, and pay out line to remove it from hiding.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to this series. Very cool.

z