Friday, October 2, 2020

Sneaky

With less travel, archaeology, robotics and general fun to be had in 2020 I have been posting more on little projects.  Geocaches are one of them.  I like making sneaky camouflaged containers.  Sometimes I have specific requirements. 

For this cache I needed something that would hold a slightly larger set of maps and photos.  It needed to be very waterproof as it would be in a location that sees plenty of moisture especially in the spring.  Oh, and the area is full of trash and weeds.  

Here ya go.


It started out life as some kind of square metal can, possibly a tea container.  I sprayed it black and dun, then applied adhesive and wound black landscaping fabric around it.  More adhesive, then a coating of dirt scraped up off my driveway.  The top is a screw on and needed a little "roof" to make sure water does not pool on the slightly indented shoulders of the can.  To conceal the outline of the roof and of the container generally, I stapled a bunch of dead ferns to it.  By the time they crumble and drop off I figure something else will be growing on it.

Of course I only post pictures of these containers after they have been in place a while.  I don't want to make it too easy after all!




No comments: