Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Walking in Yorkshire - On Target

My wanderings in the hills above Settle were guided by a map I got at the very competent and friendly visitor's centre.  It had lots of route landmarks.  Oh, a few were not ideal.  "Preston's Barn" for instance could have been one of a number of similar looking ramshackle structures.

But one landmark seemed eerily specific.  There was said to be the remains of a rifle range from about 1860.

And indeed, I found it.  Way up beyond any current roads or habitation.



OK, I'll buy that as a target backstop.  The remaining upright is made of heavy gauge steel and frankly looks as if it has been plinked by weapons of higher power than anything legal in the UK these days.  I amused myself wondering if some local had an old Martini and Henry elephant gun.

But the date?   

Oh...


No comments: