Monday, June 17, 2019

England 2019 - Signs of the Times



I've mentioned in travel accounts that we stayed in a community called Settle.  Technically this is not correct, our inn was located in Giggleswick, an adjacent village.  It seems like a made up name.  But it is a community of long standing and has a well respected school in it.  This came as a surprise to us when we spotted school kids in uniform wandering about.  The alumni are called "Old Giggleswickians".  Of course they would be.  They are a varied lot including the guy who plays C3PO in Star Wars and a virulent British Fascist from the 1930s.


Celtic Gypsy Klezmer.  I had to look it up, Klezmer is an Eastern European Jewish style of music.  They look fun, and their web page is titled "The Way of the Dodo".  Some of their YouTube videos are worth a look and listen. 



Settle/Giggleswick being oriented to both academia and visitors there seems to be more of a cultural community than in similar small towns.  So there is a film festival. Near as I can tell this is about a group of Palestinians defying Israel by starting a dairy coooperative and producing their own milk.  This was before cows were on the verge of being declared enemies of the Progressive State on the basis of methane emissions I guess.


Another entry in my Lindisfarne Life Saving series.  Why would people just randomly leave pyrotechnics at the Coast Guard station?  This seems weirdly specific.

And speaking of weirdly specific, a massage/beauty parlor down a side alley in Skipton.  I don't know what most of this stuff is.  Don't wanna know either.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they have had problems with people leaving out of date safety flares at the coast guard

John said...

Hi Tim - I really enjoy your blog. The sign at the Coast Guard reminds me of the time when, during a summer of my undergrad, I was working for Torco Termite and Pest Control in Columbus, OH. My primary responsibility was to drive a heavy duty truck with a boom sprayer full of Roundup to kill weeds at the Union Tank Car repair facility in Marion, OH (weeds are like grease on train tracks, and they would like the cars to stop in the yard). Marion is the home of former president Warren Harding, and indeed his memorial is there. One day at lunch I visited it, and I found they had site rules. The last one was, "It is illegal to hallucinate at this site." I always wondered, how would anyone know?

Tacitus said...

John

I guess that sign at least served a better function than most. It got your attention.

I have a nephew who spent a while on a crew that sprayed for weeds along train tracks. Chemical gypsies. Oddly, very oddly, there was a grizzled old guy who was a classmate of mine in high school. We thought he was an odd duck then and evidently decades of exposure to Round Up had not improved matters.

TW