Friday, June 14, 2019

Flowers for Field

Sometimes I see things and just sense a significance.  Often it takes after the fact research to figure it out.  When on Lindisfarne Island I was sufficiently intrigued by this tombstone to snap a pic.  I had thought it was F.I.E.L.D. Flowers, but even for the British having five names ahead of your surname would be a bit much.  No, it seems to just be Field Flowers.  A bit of a pun one supposes.

The story is of course a sad one.



At the time of his death in 1843, Field Flowers - son of the Reverend Field Flowers no less - was only 13 years old.  He was drowned in the wreck of the ship Pegasus off Lindisfarne.  Records indicate that his mother Frances and sister Fanny also perished that day. 

Who knew that my relative disinterest in the early history of Lindisfarne and my fascination with the life boat service would go in this peculiar direction.  It's not as if the badly deteriorating monument held any clues.....


1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

You can learn a lot walking through a cemetery, especially if you're already up on local history.