Sunday, January 27, 2019

Davros visits Davos?

I keep up on world news to a moderate degree and on political news only to the extent that my digestion is not set off.  Now and then they overlap.

Recently for instance there was the annual World Economic Forum held at the Swiss ski resort called Davos.  That name is somehow catchier than the official title so this meeting of what can really only be called global elites has come to be called "Davos" for short hand.  Evidently they are having an off year.  For reasons of political prudence or disinclination very few A list world leaders are attending the event.  Maybe they invite more second stringers to fill the tables.  

It is certainly not something I would ever be invited to attend.  Heck, back in my working days I was never comfortable even with the minor degree of posh that one occasionally encountered at medical meetings.

I have also been put off by - of all things - the word Davos.  It reminds me of something.

Way, way back when I was in med school and living in a run down student house we had an old black and white TV.  One of the very few shows we watched regularly was "Dr. Who", then in the classic Tom Baker rerun mode.  And one of the big villains was this guy:


Fans of the show, and this would place you among my British and/or Nerd friends, of course recognize him as Davros.  And he seems like the kind of guy you might find holding forth in a semi-secret conclave of world elites.

As to who you really do find at Davos this year?  No Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin or Theresa May.  Bill Gates turned up as of course did Al Gore.  And then there is George Soros.  One of the big names in the worlds of Progressive politics and Globalization. My friends of various political stripes hold divergent opinions of the man.  But in the interest of dispelling any notion of him being a secretive, behind the scenes villain I offer the following photo:


Davros visits Davos?

3 comments:

LindaG said...

I originally read the title as Davros visits Davros.
Not only is the character from Doctor Who; but also from a season or so of Babylon 5. Davros was always looking for The One, and often was known to say "Not the one."

I wonder if either of them would be insulted by the comparison to Soros?
I can certainly see the resemblance to the Dalek leader...

Anonymous said...

@LindaG

That character's name in B5 was Zathras, not Davros. Sorry.

LindaG said...

Ah! Don't be sorry. You are correct!
I remembered wrong, haha.
I seem to be doing that more and more, lately
Thank you for the correction!