Friday, January 25, 2019

Interesting things on the store shelves. And assorted Varmints

I admit it, I'm not much of a shopper.  When I need something I go to the store, buy it and get out.  Unless of course I am being modern and buying it online, then I skip the first step.

So it is rare that I am just looking around to see what is being sold.  And when I do I am easily bemused.

Here's an interesting but probably non-useful item.  It is a live trap for catching and presumably releasing assorted wildlife that might be loitering about your property.  This is old school technology with a new twist, a time release door.

My thought was that if you had a skunk in there you could release it without getting in range of a nasty spray.  But that theory has a couple of problems.  One, you are just releasing the darn critter back where it came from.  And two, you have to get pretty close to turn that dial and schedule its parole.  Too close I figure.

So I guess it is to be dialed in after you take the cage somewhere else and release the varmint?  It bills itself as being less stressful for both you and the animal.  But bouncing around in the trunk of your car (added bad idea with skunks) is probably more of a stress inducing experience than having you come up open the door.

Besides, the creatures listed here don't care.  Opossums sleep through anything stressful.  Raccoons and groundhogs are both supremely confident and are unlikely to have their composure rattled by anything humans do.


OK, now lets ponder the ramifications of a DIY paternity test.


Now, the guy in this picture looks pretty happy but I think we may assume that the circumstances under which the paternity of that equally happy baby are indeterminate are always difficult.

You need a "swab" to send this to the lab.  Oh, nothing too outlandish, inner cheek (and lets specify, oral cavity please) will do it.  But a fair number of "candidates" are going to impolitely refuse.  And then what?  Do people get 'em drunk, swab 'em and forge their signature? I think the key might be that there is also a rather more expensive "grandparent" version of this test where you can show a hopefully more responsive older generation that cute, cute baby and get their assistance.  Heck, for that cutie they'd probably pay for it as well!

No comments: