Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Art Gallery for the Dreary Winter Months

Yep, its winter.  More time cooped up indoors.  I have an "office" off in one corner of the house.  This and the basement workshop are mine to decorate as I choose, so I put up a few reminders of warmer and/or more cheerful times...

Here's one corner.


On the left are some small prints done by one of my fellow Dig Hill 80 excavators. At the time I did not know that Kathryn had this talent.  Here are a few examples before framing.  


Some of these are rather Brit-centric, like the Menin Gate.  Poppies also are more resonant "over there".  I rather like the buttons, ammo and water bottles having dug examples in various states of preservation.  If you want copies or other graphics stuff, I'm happy to give her an endorsement:

 Kathryn Duncan Illustration

The black and white photo to the right of the chair is something special. It was taken by another friend of mine, now departed.  Angello Spinelli was a POW who audaciously continued to take pictures while in the Stalags for two years.  This is a copy of one of his originals which are at the National POW Museum in Andersonville.  It shows the combined ball teams for a Stalag Baseball All Star game!


Up on an adjacent bookshelf are some  items that challenge our understanding of "What is Art?".  Still life with Fez collection?  Cross Species Dressing Bill the Squirrel?


Today Bill is styling some new Christmas acquisitions.  I hope his "Walter White" phase is brief.


1 comment:

wynne said...

Now I know that Laura isn't the only art appreciator in your home. The fez stack and Mr.Bill add some contemporary whimsy to your collection. Nice.