Wednesday, August 7, 2024

A New Sturgeon

There is good news/bad news to the Strange Fish geocache series.  Because the containers are usually in places where there are people around, they get swiped or moved by accidental finders.  And the cooler the container the more likely this is to happen.  But that's OK.  For me the fun is mostly building a good "fish" container and I don't mind replacing them with an upgraded version.

I've done various things in the series, not all of them look like the fish they commemorate.  But they do have to be waterproof and big enough for the geocache log and maybe a pencil and some "swag", things people leave behind and exchange.

This was version 1.0 of the cache container.


Not bad, but the shiny duct tape was not an ideal covering, and I got the fins wrong.  The head is removable to get at the inner ziplock with the cache log.

Strange Fish Lake Sturgeon 1.0 vanished once completely after about a year in service.  I replaced it with a 2.0 version that was tossed together quickly.  This version was based on a Rapala lure, and sat on top of a screw cap section of PVC pipe.  Alas, a screw on cap that allows grit to get into it soon becomes difficult.  So, time for version 3.0.

Here's 2.0 and 3.0 side by side.  I rather like the newest version.  The fins and tail are now flexible but sturdy bits of mouse pad material.  The head unscrews.


The exterior is wrapped with friction tape.  It is better visual camoflage especially when it picks up various bits of dirt and bark on its slightly sticky surface.

I also think I have the head and eyes much more realistic, even if the body is a bit too skinny.

The newest version of the geocache was based on this:


This is some kind of in ground sprinkler nozzle.  If you squint you can see that I got these for a buck each at the surplus store.  I had to slice off the side port, as it was a bit thick for a fin, but otherwise did not have to do much to make a nice waterproof cache container.  It is a bit long and thin for most species.  Next time I do a new container I'll have a start to finish tutorial.

No comments: