Friday, March 15, 2024

I feel a little left out

I'm going to go out and tempt fate here*.  With the CDC basically saying that Covid-19 is just another respiratory virus I now feel just a little cheated that I never got it. **

I know many people who did.  Their recoveries had an element of nobility to them.  They took on the greatest malady of our times and prevailed.  Sometimes they got to get up on their soap box and gripe about some person they encountered who DID NOT WEAR A MASK!

I just went through life figuring if I got it I got it, and that beyond a certain point all these precautions and masks would prove to be exercises in futility.  And so it has come to pass.

I think most people took this all in stride.  The small percentage of the population that just went nuts over this were probably unreasonable about other things before Covid and will now move on to being unreasonable about other things.

It is a shame that the whole darn thing got politicized, and that the measures to counter the disease were - in retrospect - so draconian.  I've been working with middle and high school students for 25 years and counting, and can tell you that the damage to academic achievement and to their world generally has been profound and malign.

Oh, something will get me eventually.  That's probably the truest thing I or anyone else could ever write.  But it is my intent to just carry on.  I'm not going to do anything that is clearly stupid....no motorcycles in my future  But while I won't live forever I certainly won't live in fear.

________________________

*Fate being duly tempted I did get dismal-ill on the trip to Florida.  Cough, runny nose, fatigue.  Covid?  Who knows, I just slept it off and treated it - per CDC now - as a poorly timed case of the crud.  Fate....it's always Hubris then Nemesis, isn't it?

** Realistically I probably got Covid in early March of 2020, too early to have testing available.  36 hours of scratchy throat and fatigue.  Nothing that rest and beer could not overcome.

No comments: