Friday, December 29, 2023

Recycled Reindeer

A generation ago, when our boys were little, our neighbors gave us a bit of outdoor holiday decor.  I am pretty sure they were just tired of dealing with it.  A plywood Santa with sleigh and two reindeer.  It was certainly another generation old already.  It had the look of something you'd buy at the department store.

For about a decade I'd dutifully open second story windows and imperil myself by putting the big guy and his critters out on the porch roof.  Of course to keep me out in the cold even longer I had to put some lights out as well.  

The boys grew up.  I developed some common sense, and the little holiday ensemble were put out at a thrift sale.

I had not thought about this in years, but on a recent post holiday walk I spotted what must be the same set up - busted antlers and all - a few blocks away.

Kitchy decor, now on its third or fourth generation.  The current owners have enough sense to keep all the hooves and runners on nice solid ground.




No comments: