Friday, August 4, 2023

Our Companions and Jesters.....

I recall a quote by C.S. Lewis that describes animals as "our companions and jesters".  Of course I can't track it down, even with the help of the internet.  I think it is in Perelandra somewhere. * Well what the heck, if he didn't say it he should have.  And maybe made it specific to dogs.

Dogs have been there for us ever since their shaggy ancestors snuck up close to the fire beside our equally shaggy predecessors.  

I periodically get a chance to take care of our kid's dogs.  Two of them, Reba and Hank, were over the other day.


 

I know there are some people who identify more strongly with cats.  To each their own I guess.  But I prefer dogs.  They have all of mankind's major virtues.  Bravery, Loyalty, Patience.  They have none of our vices except Immoderation.  They will eat, sleep and procreate as much as is Caninely possible.

One of these days I'll have to get another dog of my own.  I figure I'll wait until I lose a step or two and am snoozing in the sun whenever possible.  Then I'll adopt an old dog with similar inclinations.

*As it happens the quote, when I finally tracked it down, is from the subsequent book in the series "That Hideous Strength":  

"We are now as we ought to be - between the angels who are our elder brothers and the beasts who are our jesters, servants and playfellows".

No comments: