Friday, March 24, 2023

Tree Shaped Tombstones - Globe Arizona

On occasion one or another of my roving correspondents will send me "tree" photos from unusual places.  Places like Globe, Arizona.  It's an isolated place in the Gila valley of central Arizona, a place that hit it big with mining in the mid 1870's.  The name comes from a huge globe shaped mass of silver found there.

The desert light was harsh so these are not ideal pictures, but both the setting and the examples are intriguing.

Here's a late style "official" Woodmen marker.  Done in granite as was usually the case by the 1911 death date.  Note the dry surroundings.....no well manicured grass here.  The cement bumpers around family plots are also unusual.  Per the sign it was an IOOF cemetery.  Other lodges apparently were also welcome.  (Addendum.  Note the blue pigment in the "downhill" parts of this monument.  Globe is a serious copper mining town.  Is it in the air or something?)


Also from 1911 something I've never seen before....a tree stump drinking fountain!  I assume the little cutout at the bottom was for dogs.


And here's a couple more examples.



Oddly these monuments are both jammed into the edge of the family plot.  Why?  There appeared to be plenty of room.

In my very quick look at the history of Globe I did note that among the famous people from there was a certain Lynda Carter.  I should think that in auditions such trivia as where you are from would seldom be the subject of conversation, but if you are wearing this outfit.....maybe.



2 comments:

ChrisJ said...

If you’re taking submissions, I have a couple from Highgate Cemetery that I took with you in mind from my trip to the UK in Jan.

Tacitus said...

And to be clear....all decent or even half decent photos of tree shaped tombstones from areas outside my usual stomping grounds (Upper Midwest, USA) are welcome at any time.

T