Wednesday, June 1, 2022

UK Odds and Ends. Mostly Odd.

At the end of extended travels I usually have a collection of photos I've taken simply because I saw something odd.  Sometimes these are of things that locals regard as commonplace.  Sometimes they are just odd on a cosmic scale.  In no particular order.....

Seen in the small public square, Nenthead.  I assume it is a reference to the upcoming Platinum Jubilee in which The Queen will celebrate an unprecedented 70 years on the throne.  But I could not help but wonder if the Corgi Crown had some other significance.  It seems like the sort of thing that would be worn at "Hen Do's" at the local pub.


Does England have a big problem with people climbing on utility poles?  Pretty much all of them, including this specimen along a very isolated rural walking path, are festooned with barbed wire that looks as if it was left over from the defenses on the Somme.

All bridges around Newcastle airport are similarly fortified.


I always enjoy discussing politics with my English friends.  Our affairs and theirs, our attitudes and theirs, so similar but yet not quite the same.  They for instance seemed quite upset that Boris Johnson was discovered to be drinking beer sans mask at a small gathering during Covid lockdown.  We just assume our politicians are mendacious, hypocritical skunks.  I wonder if having a still respected monarchy as part of the Ship of State helps them preserve elements of what I would otherwise deem a delightful naivete?  Well we can all concur with the sentiments shown here, its a statue in down town Carlisle of a former Mayor.


The English like their dogs.  And their walking.  This means lots of dogs getting walked, and of course along the way....  It rather looks as if the stylized owner is bowing down to his pet.  Seems like more of a cat thing to me.


I try to be culturally sensitive especially when traveling.  So if Turkish barber shops are a bit different, well why not.  Men of that ethnicity do seem a bit more hirsute.  But some of these tactics seem a bit, well, scorched earth.  No thanks.



No comments: