Thursday, April 28, 2022

Vindolanda 2022 - Day Four

A day of incremental progress.  We lowered our floor level a bit.  Fewer exciting finds today although I did find this.  Once a roman spear head now a lumpy bit of iron.  We are not allowed to post fun metal objects lest unscrupulous "night hawk" metal detectors swoop in under cover of darkness.  I figure this one is OK.


Next trench over a few bits of Samian ware turned up.  Here's a fine lady striking a pose:


And this bit.  I thought it was a satyr, as the leg looked a bit shaggy.  Now I'm not sure.  We are not supposed to just take a brush at this stuff, some of it is more fragile than you'd expect.


A fine day of perfect weather.  On my trek home by public walking path these guys mistook me for the farmer who brings them food.  




No comments: