Monday, April 25, 2022

Vindolanda 2022 Day One

My extended 2022 digging expedition is off to a good start.  I have not got too much to say regards finds, we are cleaning down to a floor surface in a building of unknown purpose.  Just some bits of pot, some nails, animal bones.  All the sort of thing that could have ended up there just as general Detritus of Empire.  Here's a nice piece.


It's good to be back.  Lots of old friends, lots of new diggers to help train in.  The digging life style is one of comfort, so let's explore it a bit.

Our previous "local" went too upscale for us, so our social gathering point and my home for the next two weeks is here:


The sun comes up early here and the birds notice it.  So I was awake at 5am.  After a nice Full English breakfast I walked up to the dig site.  The first point of interest is the pottery next door to The Bowes:



Goggle eyed chickens and a regiment of garden gnomes.  Incidentally they are all staring in the direction of my window.

The fort as usual looks great.  This is in the consolidated section, not where active digging is going on.


And end of day another brisk walk.  The am version was just under 40 minutes, mostly up hill.  I actually took a bit longer for the pm commute.  A bit tired, and walking down hill is actually harder if less energy consuming.

Then dinner.  I rarely show food pictures but along with my pint I had this formidable red curry.  Note the small Danger Pepper on top.  That I left be, but the stuff was delicious....and at Medium spice level just about right.  


Back at it in the morning, weather permitting.  Could be a bit wet in the am, but then sunshine expected the rest of the week.


No comments: