Friday, December 10, 2021

Deer Hunting 2021 - Second Chance Season

I am back in the woods for the Second Chance season.  It runs Thursday through Sunday although I will have another obligation on Saturday.  So how are the omens?  Odd in some ways.  There was an ongoing ammo shortage that limited my ability to practice this past summer and fall.  And lo and behold, two days after hunting season (round 1) ended, the shelves were full again.  I stocked up for next year.

Snow is always helpful and we've had a bit.  It makes the deer move around looking for nibbles, and makes it easier to see where they have been sneaking about leaving tracks.

It also makes it easier to spot them, as a white background and a foliage colored deer is better than shades of brown on brown.  Of course the winter conditions mean I have to gear up a bit more.  Balaclava, orange stocking cap, sound amplification/dampening head phones.  At least the top of me stayed quite warm although the cold biting wind made me turn off the headset.  Just too depressing.


I basically have four hunting opportunities left, two days, am and pm.  Second Chance 1.1 was interesting.  After watching the sun rise with cold wind blowing in my face I sat an hour or two in the stand and figured the deer were up to something else.  Stalking along some nearby trails showed plenty of evidence of their activities, which mostly involve sleeping and excreting, but they were being sneaky.  After a bit I circled back to the area I like to hunt, right along the edge of a former golf course.  Still being stealthy I peeked out from behind a tree.  And two oblivious deer were about 25 yards away!  Alas, they were also on the wrong side of the line from my perspective.  From extensive practice with my grand children I am a Master at Hide and Seek, and was able to stay hidden while the deer,  joined by a pal, ate, sat down to rest, peered this way and that.  For practice I sighted in on them a couple of times but not being a poacher these critters could just as well been on the moon.  My wife thinks the private property owners have installed a gigantic "Invisible Fence" to keep the deer on their side.  Oh well, I was able to wait them out and when they were no longer visible I made my way quietly off.  Don't want to spook 'em, as they likely come in from the open area later in the day.
---------------------------------
Second Chance 1.2.  It snowed mid day.  This upends the deer tracking Etch a Sketch and starts over.  Any tracks you see are fresh.


I hunted my usual evening spot and sure enough as dusk started to dim the lights deer turned up.  There was one about 300 yards away, obviously too far for a shot but I was sending my mind control rays down range willing it to walk towards me.  Mind control rays take a lot of concentration, so I did not notice another deer peering at me from 40 yards....but 180 degrees away from the first one and over my shoulder.  Slowly, slowly I started to pivot.  The deer was giving me the skunk eye but for a moment stepped behind a tree.  I moved just a bit further....and a third deer I had not seen spotted me.  A general high tailing ensued.

Tomorrow's hunt is a bit uncertain.  Serious snow coming later in the day.  And as for earlier, am I foolish enough to climb up into this stand?




1 comment:

Jim Carlson said...

Good luck! Usually it takes time for them to go back to where they spotted you. Hope a new buck follows their trails by you.