Monday, August 9, 2021

The Lansing Lugnuts

On our voyage through Michigan we needed a stopping off spot.  So why not Lansing?  After all, it has a minor league ball team.  Specifically the Lansing Lugnuts.  Even in the world of  single A ball it is an odd name, reflecting the auto industry of the Wolverine state.  I  like their logo.  I've had one of their hats for a while now, it fits in well for wear at robotics sessions.


As is my custom, I'll review the experience in several important categories.

1. The Ballpark

Quite a nice place.  It is just across the river from downtown.  As you'll see in assorted pictures the crowd was pretty small despite nice weather on a Sunday afternoon.  Perhaps being in sight of the Michigan state capitol building has had an inhibitory effect.  I'm told that Fun is frowned upon by the current governor.


Out beyond the center field wall there are fancy upscale condos.  Nary a fan on any of the balconies.

2. The food and drink.

Sometimes when I travel I remind myself that not every place is Wisconsin.  So the fact that I found the bratwurst and beer to be not up to the standards of the Badger State should not be regarded as a condemnation.  Their ways are not our ways.  I always try to have my provisions in hand by the time the National Anthem is sung.  Here is a tasty looking glass of a Mexican style lager.  Lansing uniquely to my experience has three official names.  The Lugnuts, the Black Rhinos and the Lansing Locos.  The latter two names are to reflect the tradition of earlier Negro League teams in Lansing and the Hispanic influence on the game.  Maybe also to sell extra merch.


3. The Anthem

I did not make it all the way back to my seat, so when the Star Spangled Banner was sung I was actually standing next to the center field flag pole looking up.  The lady singing was pretty good, and she in fact came and sat down four rows in front of us.  The experience was made better, for me and likely for others, by the fact that I was pretty much all by myself out there and could attempt some serious cross octaves harmony!

4. The Mascot

Meet The Big Lug.  He/she/it is some kind of toothy dinosaur whose only connection with the actual team name are those creepy nose piercings which indeed are huge lug nuts.  The Lugster was good with young fans:


Oh, you thought I'd forgo my usual picture?  Silly you.  This is one of the "huggier" mascots I've run across, but when you turn up at the photo backdrop reserved for such interactions that's only to be expected.


5. The actual game.

It's minor league ball.  You don't judge teams by the same standards as the Majors.  In fact if you have a decent single A team it won't be that way for long, the better players get called up to "The Show" or are traded off for future considerations.  Lansing was having a tough day when we where there.  

But there was one bright spot.  A shaggy first baseman/catcher named William Simoneit.  The rest of the team frankly looked rather blah.  But this guy ran hard and got excited when he made a good play.  He eventually broke up the No Hitter that the Lugs were suffering through with a 7th inning single.  He later also broke up the shut out with a 9th inning RBI double.  But best of all he got to come in and pitch two innings.  When a position player pitches it is never a good situation, that means the score is out of reach.  But he went at it with verve, mixing his "fast ball" which looked to be about 70 mph with a....something or other pitch that often did not register on the speed gun at all.  When it did it was in the low 40's, so roughly half the speed of a creditable major or minor league fastball.  It was lots of fun.  Hey, if Simoneit ever makes it to the big time you can say you read about him first at Detritus of Empire!  (Hint, he will not be making it as a pitcher).






No comments: