Friday, November 20, 2020

The Book of Deer

Under difficult circumstances we are going to attempt to launch a new family tradition in the fall of that most sour of years, 2020.  Deer Hunt.

I did not hunt growing up but raising a family of my own in Wisconsin all three boys developed an interest.  They hunt birds, deer.  Ooof, that time we had squirrel tacos.  But despite having a suitable up north place we've never made it a family affair.  Until now.

It's just time.  One son had been hunting with his in-laws but some fragile health on that side of the aisle means spending less time there is prudent.  Another son is living on the opposite side of the state and needs to get back to less civilized but far healthier climes.  And without robotics, travel and other diversions I'm frankly looking for things to do.  Time to get a hunting tradition started.  Hopefully the grand kid generation will step up in a few years, by which point I imagine I'll be relegated to camp cook or some such emeritus status.

And to record the Deer Hunting chronicles...


It's a blank book with a laminated cover.  Regular readers will recognize our trail cam photo of the most clueless deer in the world.

I expect the book will contain stand locations, reports of sightings, recipes both venison and non success vegetarian fare, and so forth.  One of the first entries will be a hand drawn map of our hunting spots as drawn by the five year old.

Updates as the hunt progresses....


2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Best wishes on the new endeavor.

MadCityMac said...

I always wondered what it would be like to pick up hunting at 60+. This will be interesting as I have never hunted myself, and I'll be 62 in February!