Saturday, November 21, 2020

Deer Camp - Chapter One

If you are coming in late, this is a chronical of our first ever family deer hunting "camp".  And for me my first ever hunting experience...at age 63.  

Big City Son turned up first.  We made targets from cardboard we had sitting around.  Note the accurate, empty thought balloon from the deer on the right.


We went to a public land spot a couple of miles from our intended hunting sites and blazed away with assorted artillery.  Mostly to encouraging results but I did have a tendency to grip the gun pretty hard as it has a wicked recoil.  I had a few rounds go low until I corrected for this.  


It got to the point that I just started shouting down range:  "Maybe next time you'll pay Big Tony when you're supposed to!"


Opening day 5AM.  The breakfast table is set with firearms, ammo, Kit Kats and a Hostess Product called "Zingers", a shameless Little Debby knockoff.

The view from my tree stand shortly after dawn.  Things had been eventful already.  Before the sun rose I heard a ferocious crashing directly behind me.  I did not dare turn around on the off chance that a - hopefully - giant buck might still be standing there.  Spoiler, he wasn't.  And right as the sun came up there was a riotous chorus of coyotes!  Howling, yipping and barking, they might just be smart enough to realize that deer opener means plenty of field dressing....and that's good eatin'.  Coyote Thanksgiving.


I saw three deer without a clear shot at any.  Besides, one was a runty little thing perhaps suitable for a Wednesday deer but not a Saturday morning one.

Big City Son had better luck.  Perhaps inspired by the continuous gunfire in his neighborhood he has developed a cool, steely eyed demeanor regards firearms.  He scored this very large doe at about 9am Opening Day.


Oh, and he's unwrapping a celebratory Hostess Zinger.  Perhaps a tradition is born?

The afternoon was less exciting.  I sat in my stand for hours on end as the sun went lower and lower in the sky.  Eventually it was nearly horizontal and bright orange so I thought it was a good occasion for a photo.  Yes, there are risks to taking a selfie while holding a loaded rifle in your free hand but it can be done if you are careful.


The other risk of course is that when you get back to the warmth of the cabin and are sitting contentedly by the fire.....you spy a deer hiding in the background!

Just kidding.

2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Fresh meat and no additives!

Tacitus said...

To be entirely accurate there might be a few microscopic traces of lead and copper added. Second deer now added to the first one. The Tribe will eat this winter. TW