Saturday, November 28, 2020

Hunting "Over the Hill"

A few posts back a commenter indicated interest in what it would be like to start hunting in one's mid 60's.  There are to this question both pragmatic and whimsical answers.   

Overall it's not too bad.  Some of the things you'd expect to be problematic were not.  Get up at 5AM? Heck, I do that all the time.  Aches and pains?  Sure a few, climbing up and down from tree stands and tromping considerable distances through the woods and all.  But again, heck, at my age there's aches and pains all the time.  I did not take a single Advil.  As to staying up in the tree without needful Calls of Nature, well just cut back the morning coffee from an enjoyable four cups to a neurologically necessary two.  No problem.

I'd like to think that my patience was above average.  The young lads got their deer respectively on Opening Day and Day Two of the season.  I kept hunting another five days past that.  That's a lot of hours sitting quietly surveying woods that were increasingly devoid of deer.  (As the season progresses in its Darwinian fashion the dim witted deer are harvested and the clever ones change their habits and haunts radically).

In the end I really only had a reasonable shot at two deer.  One I missed....various excuses are possible but I won't bore you with them.  One I needed another two or three seconds to get a confident aim, and the deer just kept walking.

This points to the major problem with being a first time deer hunter born in the 1950's.  You don't target things as quickly.

My eyesight is pretty good.  Oh, I wear reading glasses and have had both eyes "done" for cataracts.  But most of the visual aspects of picking up a target are just being the equivalent of a good motion detector.  You need a few seconds to know where the deer is in order to know where it will be when you have a clear shot.

It's my hearing that is the problem.

My sons tell me that they generally hear the critters before they see them.  Well, other than the deer that must have nearly crashed into my tree ten minutes before shooting hours started on the Opener (and Lordy that musta been one big, clumsy deer) I pretty much never heard the deer coming.

Now, I do have hearing aides.  These were grudgingly accepted a couple of years back when my Better Half put forth the unanswerable argument that I did not want to miss anything the grand children said.  They are really sophisticated, I can adjust setting from my phone for instance.  But they are also:  A: expensive and B: designed to pick up higher frequency sounds.  Small, delightful child's voices.  Also spousal voices, as it's best not to wait until things are repeated at a volume or in a tone of voice that cannot be missed.

I tried hunting without them, worried that anything lost in the woods would never be found.  I tried hunting with them.  I even tweaked the settings.  There's an outdoor mode.  There are options for volume...crank that up.  And for speech discrimination....crank that down.  But I still can't say I reliably heard the deer. Oh, one or two times I had a dim perception of "something", but that was usually about two seconds before I saw the insolent white tail flashing as the deer ran off.  Really, it's like a stylish middle finger.  

Mostly I heard everything else.  Leaves rustling.  Squirrels and small mice cavorting.  A scratchy noise every time my jacket moved against the tree bark.  And at my age every pivot of my neck beyond about 30 degrees causes a crackling noise that sounds like several large deer rolling around in a pile of dry sticks.

Well that's how it is.  This aspect of deer hunting is not going to get better in subsequent deer camps.

But all is not lost.  I've become a lot more comfortable with firearms.  Honestly the past week has increased my amount of total "holding a rifle" time by several orders of magnitude.  I know how to quietly disengage the safety.....having learned this the hard way when a deer snuck into my peripheral vision one morning.  I can perch in a tree stand for three hours or so at a time, shifting positions such that the rifle is safe and generally pointed in useful directions.  I've learned to sight in on plausible shooting lanes.  Of course the deer usually turn up somewhere entirely different.

We've also learned a lot about the behaviour of deer in our specific location.  I expect next year we will benefit from this, with the caveat being that 2020 had near ideal hunting conditions regards temp, snow cover etc.  If 2021 has some combination of bare ground, rain, bitter cold etc we may consider our haul this year - two very nice deer for three hunters - a high water mark.

Going forward I need my own rifle.  A borrowed unit is never as comfortable.  I think if I shop carefully, get something that feels comfortable and then put a hundred rounds or so through it, I'll be able to get the cross hairs on the target in three or four seconds.  Because five or six is often too late.

I'll have a few philosophical musings on the hunting tradition in a few days.


Addendum.  I've just learned that there is a short "second chance" season coming up in December for those with unfilled tags.  Look out deer, I'll be back....

10 comments:

MattB said...

Good luck on your second chance season!! Here in Texas the season goes from first weekend in Nov. to 1st weekend in January. saw couple of good bucks opening day but it was just too hot to shoot any thing. Maybe it will cool off by next weekend and I will shoot something!

Tacitus said...

Thanks Matt! It's a darn big country when at one end it's too hot to shoot a deer and at the other you have to contend with frost bite!

T.Wolter

Anonymous said...

I also have trouble hearing deer approach, but I think it is due to our terrain. No loose leaves that create noise. If I hear them, it is the stop - start - stop pattern that is really close. Birds often clue you in when game is close by - they become silent.

If you learn to enjoy 'woods time', bringing meat home really becomes less important. There are some hunters who really enjoy the peace and quiet.

Good luck and enjoy your time Outside !!

Anonymous said...

Any ranges around that you could rent rifles and test shoot before you buy? Ruger, Savage and T/C all make reasonably priced rifles that shoot accurately for the distances you have in Wisconsin (live next-door in Minnesota). If I did't have my dad's Winchester 94 in 30-30 I'd consider something in .243 or even 350 Legend. Again see if you can try before you buy, how it feels is important.

Tacitus said...

Lots of great advice...thanks!

T. Wolter

RHT447 said...

Plenty of good advice already. Obviously it is a seller's market these days. I would peruse gun shops and gun shows so as to get hands-on with different brands/platforms. I would put an emphasis on light weight and light recoil.

I am sold on electronic ear muffs, although I have to admit that I haven't hunted with them yet. You might check out some YouTube vids on that topic.

If you shop for glass, here is a delightful little scope--

https://www.amazon.com/Redfield-67085-Revolution-2-7x33mm-Accu-Range/dp/B0034L8XW4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2WCMFZ7BOP1GI&dchild=1&keywords=redfield+scope&qid=1606777515&sprefix=redfield%2Caps%2C253&sr=8-1

Bright, clear, and only weighs 11 oz. I have two with the 4-Plex reticle. Redfield has been coming off the same line as Leupold since 2009.

Leigh said...

Tim

Both of my daughters have youth model Remington 770's in .243. I will have to say I am very impressed with the effectiveness of that cartridge. That particular rifle comes with spacers to adjust for length of pull (stock length), so that it fits various sized shooters. Unfortunately, it looks as though that platform has been discontinued.

I would say to stick to Savage, Ruger, Thompson-Center, and Mossberg, for quality bolt action rifles - at a decent price range.

Good calibers, for novice/recoil sensitive shooters are : .243 Win , .25-06 , 260 Rem, .270 Rem and the 6.5x55 Sweede. All will take Whitetail sized game inside of 200 yards, easily.
No matter the caliber, shot placement is essential.

If I were to pick an AR platform to hunt with; it would come in 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC , or the new comer - the .350 Legend.
Of which, the .350 intrigues me the most. A good sized projectile, moving at faster than a 30-30 velocities, in a soft shooting platform. Being straight walled, it is legal in some locales where a high powered rifle isn't allowed.

I have used Simmons scopes with good results in the past. Though their prices seem to be a lot lower than I remember. Which may not be a good thing. Leupold scopes are pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Always get the best optic you can afford.

I can't give an informed opinion about various "game ears", as I have never used them. Walker's Game Ear seems to be the dominant player in the field.

What ever is recommended, the rifle that you are comfortable with and can shoot effectively, is the best one. Good luck with your search and welcome to the woods.

Be well.

Leigh
Whitehall, NY

Anonymous said...

I have used Walkers the past two seasons and wouldn't hunt without them. First from a standpoint of protecting what's left of my hearing. I hunt out west so the tree stand experience is not mine. I still value being able to hear my hunting partner's whispered cues and still have the gunshot dampened. The Walkers earplugs are comfortable and the apparatus so light I usually forget it's around my neck.
Good Hunting
Boat Guy

TheGunFeed.com said...

Go to Amazon and get the Extinguisher deer call by Illusion Systems. You will never have a deer walk through and not stop long enough to get a shot off again. It will make doe, fawn and buck calls. I have found that doe calls are by far the most useful at calling in deer as well as getting them to stand there frozen trying to figure out where that sound came from ... this will give you a good 20 seconds to settle in and get a shot off. If they put their head down after that then they are looking to walk off, but you can give it another blow on the call and it will buy you another 20 seconds. If its a doe then use the fawn call to keep her attention. I've been able to do it three times total before they get bored and walk off. Once you get the call go do a youtube search and there is a 20 minute tutorial from the company that shows you how to use it like a pro. Its really an amazing tool and it definitely puts meat on the table.

Rifle... I would suggest a .243 caliber. Its soft shooting. Its all you will ever need for woods or long range hunting over fields. Ruger American is a great tack driver and is priced so that it makes it very attainable. If you search out pawn shops (best time is the months after hunting season) you should also consider an older Savage. They are wonderfully accurate guns and are usually priced very well.

Then go spend as much money as you can afford and find the scope that will give you the most light transmission as possible... You will most likely be shooting at first light or last light, and buying the best scope you can will buy you an extra 5 minutes in each situation which will likely determine if you have the ability to shoot or not... meaning you get to go home with a deer that day or you don't. I have missed two opportunities to harvest a deer because I went cheap on a scope and I regret it. After the second time I decided to bite the bullet and spend the cash on a quality scope. When you are scope shopping take two scope and hold them side by side and point them at the ground... keeping both eyes open and look through them at the floor. You will see that the floor when looking through the scope is darker than the floor around the scope. Thats because of light transmission. When you do this with two scopes at the same time you can tell which one transmits more light. (the one that is less dark) Ideally you want as much light transmission as possible so you want the scope to be as close in brightness of the floor around the scope as possible.

Anonymous said...

All these gun bores!