Friday, October 12, 2012

Memorable ER Quotes-Methuselan Edition

From a 102 year old man born in Mexico:

"When I was 10 years old I helped Pancho Villa's men bury some guns on our farm."

This would have been after Pancho's heyday but a few years before his assassination, so it just might be true.

----

From a 101 year old fellow brought in for what turned out to be his final hospitalization:

"I'm still living in the farm house I was born in!"

This prompted me to ask him "when was the last time you were on a tractor?"

He wrinkled his brow a bit to think and replied:  "Last spring."

----

My general policy it to tell patients that when they hit 80 I pretty much stop telling them what to do, and if they reach 90 in good shape, I start asking.  Some answers to the question of how to reach very old age in good condition:

"Don't try it if you can't take the pain."

and more sobering still:

"I get up at 5AM every day to do housework."

-----

Best answer ever?

"Gee, I don't know....I've never been this old before!"

No comments: