Friday, October 11, 2024

CCC Camp Globe Revisited

My earlier post on CCC Camp Globe had too many loose ends.  I had gone there looking for remains of the place, particularly of the impressive gate posts that once held giant globes.  Instead I found scattered remains, and these big hunks of stone work.  Which seem to be too close together for gate posts.

And there were other problems.  Usually the signs marking the location of CCC camps were put pretty close to the main entrances of same.  This "stuff" was a couple hundred yards in.  So, it was time for a repeat visit.  Actually it took two, as on one occasion there were some rather unfriendly guys scouting hunting locations right there.  

With a few more leaves gone I was able to see more.  Down the road from the above photo was:



More stone, cement, even a cellar hole.  So at least I'd found a few more remains.  But what about the gate posts?

The cover of the CCC Camp Globe newspaper is helpful.  I've generally found such images to be reasonably accurate.


You can see my point about the spacing between the gate posts.  Also, see how the road is coming off what I suspect is the existing county road at a 90 degree angle, and then starts to curve to the right.  Same view today:


Alas, I think the gate posts are long gone.  Probably they were destroyed when the county road was widened and ditches added at some point.  

CCC camps are a real test of my archaeological "eye".  Most were only occupied for a few years, and most have subsequently seen logging activity.  This tends to create many ambiguous lumps and bumps, and to either re-use or destroy the roads of the original camp.  While of course adding new roads specific to the logging operation.  As CCC camps were laid out rather loosely on military principles the position of roads is critical to understanding them.  So Globe is a tough nut to crack, although I think the road seen above - now used only by hunters - was probably the main road of the camp.

I had a flicker of hope when I learned that there was a geocache hidden here, supposedly at an old building foundation.  Alas, it was a few yards from the mystery pillars, which I suspect were part of a gigantic fire place.  Cool cache container though....





No comments: