Wednesday, April 5, 2023

FIRST Robotics - In the Pits

As I am no longer really necessary for the strategy, tactics or logistics of the team at tournaments I mostly wander around looking for things of interest.  They are abundant.

This is Illumiboti a team with a Dark Cult motif.  They are actually very nice people from over on the other side of the state.

Yes I know, my obsession with mascots is weird.  Side note, a FIRST robotics tournament is one of the few places you can wear a vintage tux with tails and nobody, I mean nobody, even notices.

There was a team there called the Flaming Squirrels.  They have been around for a long time so I don't fault the students I asked for not knowing where the name originated.  But I also asked a grey haired coach and he just mumbled something about it being "before my time......".


Bring me the head of Chilly Willy the Penguin.  OK, I promise, no more mascots.

Cartoon art for the end of the day is a long standing team tradition.  Here we close up the pit for the night.  The goat is a new addition for 2023.



I mentioned last time that we were invited to step up to join the number 4 Alliance.  Well the invite came from the Alliance captain, those black robed (but as I said very nice) cultists.  They loaned our driver a robe for the occasion.  At my age I admit to getting a bit creeped out by this image.  I've known this student for 6 years now.  And that smile conveys the sort of cheerful menace that I'm quite sure I'll see when the genuine Grim Reaper comes for me...........



No comments: