Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Vindolanda 2008/2023

When year end cleaning gets out of hand all sorts of things emerge from seldom opened drawers and boxes.


This is the start of my adventures at the Roman site of Vindolanda.  At Christmas I looked at my schedule for the year ahead and decided some traveling was in order.  I'd recently run across Vindolanda and their program of accepting volunteers.  I got in touch and a week or so later got this nice letter.  Notice the date:


This is actually remarkable for three reasons.

1. They used the US sequence of month/date/year instead of UK date/month/year

2. I've now been going over to excavate for 15 years, minus a couple for Covid.

3. There was once a time when you could get in touch in early January and get an excavation slot.  Now the spots all go within seconds of their go-live time in early November!

Three months.  Three busy months before the ridiculously early Northumbrian sunrise rouses me for my first day of excavations.  Will I regret Jet Lag Drinks Hour the night before?  I doubt it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful. Visited Italica in Spain, hometown of Trajan and Hadrian. Much of it is not excavated. Would love to go there as well. Thank you for uncovering history.