Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Ultimate Wisconsin - Through the Time Portal

Recently I reported on my discovery of a little tavern at a lonely crossroads in very rural Wisconsin.  It had the appearance of a place frozen in time.  I was not entirely sure it was a going concern but on consultation with an expert - one of my sons - I learned that it was.  "Oh sure, Vanderhyde's.  Amazing place.  You'd love it.  Mom would hate it."

On a recent drive north I went by and amazingly the neon Leinenkugel sign was glowing red.  Actually in my imagination the whole building was surrounded by a shimmering aura that suggested it was a Gateway into somewhere or somewhen Else.


It was just after 12 noon when I stopped by.  There were no other cars in the parking lot.  When I went in there was a woman there but it was hard to tell if she was a patron or the bartender.  She seemed chatty enough and eventually went behind the bar to get me a beer.  Alas if I was hoping for a line up of tasty drafts it was not to be.  The beer was in cans.  Most of it was Light Beer.

The décor?  Vintage, I don't think I saw anything from the 21st century.  Green Bay Packers stuff.  Mildly saucy calendars from years past on the wall.  Somewhat more outrageous posters oddly stapled to the ceiling.  It had the vibe of all taverns at mid day, quiet but with expectations of later revelry.

Taking pictures when you are the only patron is a little awkward but the bartender did fuss about doing a bit of cleaning here and there.  Lots of things needed dusting.  So I took a few.


Their sign also indicates groceries were for sale and technically that is true.  A few shelves.  Cans of beans and boxes of cereal spaced widely.  But what's that up above?


An selection of posters from a local brewery that went under in 1974.  Some of them have calendars from '72 on them indicating they were made special for Vanderhydes Twin Oaks Station.  I guess this was a combination grocery, tavern, gas station back then?


I've never seen anything like this from the Bruenig brewery.  They would be of considerable interest to collectors.

After a bit another guy appeared.  Once again he had a comfort level that made it hard to tell if he was a customer, an employee or the owner of the place.  He seems to have come in from a door that connects to the house in back.  Nice fella.  Beard like ZZ Top.  Had opinions on things.

I can't say I've never seen a place like this.  Because in fact I have.  It was in Northern Minnesota in the early 1970's.  It was called The Brimson Store and combined the functions of grocery, post office, tavern, community center.  But goodness that was almost a half century ago.

A place like Vanderhydes should not still exist in this day and age.  Long may it continue to anomalously do so. 

But seriously, does it exist inside a time space bubble defined by a shimmery red aura?  I just made that part up.  But when I went looking on the internet for better pictures of the place this, honestly, is what I found:
 

Decide for yourself.  Best way to do so is to drop in.  May you emerge safely back in your own time space continuum as I did.

No comments: