Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Lost Jalopy Graveyard

In the woods near our Up North place there are scattered about rusty hulks of what appear to be vehicles from the 1930's.  How did they get there?  Are they de-commissioned from logging companies?  Were they left behind by struggling farmers who put together vehicles that worked from the parts of several and lit off for parts unknown?  Let's see what we can figure out.

This is the largest of the three junkyards.  By my count a minimum of four chassis and 14 big, bulbous fenders. 


 I actually can't tell heads from tails on most of these wrecks.  Is that an exhaust pipe?


The best preserved jalopy has some interesting features.  I mean in addition to the stuffed animal that somebody has put in the driver's seat.  Traces of yellow paint.  I'm sure that was not standard.

And of all things, a rear seat that has been rebuilt out of wood!


Unsurprisingly there have been a few artistic additions to the hulks over the decades....


I don't know how many more old cars lie under heaps like this.  Although it is public land I don't think digging these things up seems right.  I did poke around a little where there were exposed door frames, as I understand that's where you'll find identifying information.  Sometimes.  But I had no luck.


The people who owned these cars are long gone.  If my estimate of their age is correct even the youngest of them are no longer with us.  When they left, did they regret pulling up stakes and heading for a new life?  Would they recognize the place now, with the farms returned to forest?  Did somebody cry when they realized that their vehicle had also been left behind?





No comments: