Friday, May 7, 2021

Sustainable Food

Of late I've become acquainted with a California Person who usually does not eat meat.  Out of concern for the environment.  I consider that philosophically consistent, raising cows, pigs and assorted kine does require a lot of cropland for feed.  We could be growing People Food on that land.

This goes in parallel with various nonsense out of Washington DC which similarly suggests that for "sustainability" we should eat red meat only infrequently.  With a subtext of "if at all" from what one assumes is a think tank populated by wan, underweight, humor bereft vegans.

Diets change over time.  My peasant forebears in Germany were farmers and so likely had a bit of wurst with regularity but I'd say they rarely had anything like steak.  Even the menu of my childhood, as I imperfectly recall it, was different.  With much less in the way of air freight and no microwaves whatsoever we ate more stuff out of cans.  Spinach came out as a disgusting green glop.  Salmon was pink, seemed to have a bunch of small bits of bone and fins in it, and was equally disgusting.  Only the passage of time and the advent of higher quality versions has enabled me to overcome my early aversion to these foods.

An interesting sidebar here.  California Person having recently become acquainted with the blaze orange, red plaid, bearded aspects of Wisconsin life was asked about eating venison.  This was deemed to be OK because, well, its as sustainable as you can get.  Deer live on acorns and roadside weeds and I'm seeing big herds of them near our Up North place.

So, to the presumed horror of various inside the Beltway think tanks I have concluded that the only appropriate thing for me to do in this regard is to purchase more deer tags and ammunition in the fall.  

I'm doing my part to save the planet.